Order my newly released prerecorded Comprehensive Online EFT Skills Training! When you purchase this training, you will have unlimited access to a “take-when-you-want” prerecorded 12-hour program. Mental health professionals can get 12 CEs for this program. Click here to learn more and purchase the training.
Get Started Now
Here are a few ways you can start to learn EFT right now!
- Purchase my online training (mentioned above)
- Check the “offerings” tab for online events and in-person trainings
- Watch the video below, which is part of my online training
- Book an individual session with me
What is EFT?
Emotional Freedom Techniques (“EFT” or “tapping”) is a simple and powerful self-help method based on research showing that trauma contributes greatly to disease. Tapping uses elements of cognitive therapy and exposure therapy, and combines them with acupressure, in the form of fingertip tapping on 12 acupuncture points. This technique can be learned in minutes and used to treat myriad emotional and physical issues.
The video below is Module 3 from my Comprehensive Online EFT Skills Training, and walks you through what EFT is and how to use it. If you are interested in purchasing the entire EFT training, find more information here.
Clinical trials published in peer-reviewed medical and psychology journals have demonstrated that EFT is effective for stress, anxiety, phobias, PTSD, depression, pain and many other issues. These trials have shown that EFT is able to rapidly reduce the emotional impact of memories and incidents that trigger emotional distress. Once the distress is reduced or removed, the body can often rebalance itself, and accelerate healing. Clinical EFT has met APA standards as an “efficacious” or “probably efficacious” treatment for anxiety, depression, phobias, and PTSD (Feinstein, 2012). Read all of the research on EFT here.
What can I use EFT for?
EFT can be used to clear negative emotions, address physical issues and shift limiting beliefs. EFT has been used successfully with many problems including the following:
- Blood pressure
- Carpal tunnel
- Eating disorders
- Emotional issues
- Fear of flying
- Sports performance
- Weight loss
How to Tap
- Select an issue to tap on (physical, emotional, or limiting belief). Make it as specific as possible by identifying specific parts of an event or specific emotions. You can tap on global issues (“I’m incompetent”) but specific issue tapping (“Friday during happy hour, the boss said, you’re the worst employee I’ve ever had.”) is more likely to result in lasting and permanent results.
- Establish a SUDS level (subjective units of distress). Assess your current level of distress or guess what it would be if you tuned in. 10 is extremely distressed, 0 is not distress.
- Setup. Repeat 3 times while continuously rubbing the sore spot or tapping the karate chop point. “Even though I have this _________ (name the issue being as specific as possible), I deeply and completely accept myself.” You can use a different acceptance statement such as “I’m ok.”
- Tapping Sequence. Tap about 7 times on each point while repeating the reminder phrase “this ______ (name the issue)” at each point.
- 9 Gamut Procedure (Optional). Continuously tap on the gamut point and keep your head still, while looking forward, and while performing these 9 actions:
- Close your eyes.
- Open your eyes.
- Look hard down to the right.
- Look hard down to the left.
- Roll your eyes in a circle,
- Roll your eyes in the other direction,
- Hum two seconds of a song.
- Count to five.
- Hum a few seconds of a song.
- Repeat the tapping sequence going through all 7 points.
- (OPTIONAL) Additional Rounds. Continue with more rounds, repeating steps 1 through 4 above, until the SUDS is zero. Remember to change the set up affirmation for each round (Even though I still have this ___) and the reminder phrase (this “remaining _______”) each time you do another round to reflect the fact that you are addressing what is left of the problem. This is different than what you started with and the setup needs to address the issue/problem as it is at the start of each new round.
A few ways to get started tapping now
Daily Dump: Every day spend a few minutes verbalizing any negative emotions, thoughts or physical issues while tapping. End by tapping on any simple positive, true statement or using the Choices method.
Choices Method: When you only have a few minutes to tap but want to change your perspective on a problem, use the choices method. Identify the problem or issue. Construct a statement about how you would choose to feel about the problem. Do one tapping round while stating the negative, a second round while stating the positive, and a third round while alternating between the negative and the positive, ending on the positive.
Personal Peace Procedure: The Personal Peace Procedure involves making a list of every bothersome, specific event in one’s life and systematically tapping their impacts out of existence.
Tap throughout the day on any of the following:
- Negative Emotions: Any time you have a negative emotional experience, you can tap on that experience. This might include reactions to emails, phone calls, interactions with others, news, family and friends or employers.
- Negative physical symptoms: You can tap any time you experience a physical symptom since there are likely emotions underlying the physical symptoms.
- Negative thoughts: You can tap if you notice yourself having negative thoughts.
Friends, Family & Children
You can help others when they are experiencing negative emotions. Explain to them that EFT is a simple stress-reduction technique. Invite them to tap along as they talk to you about what they are experiencing. If appropriate, explain the EFT basic recipe.
Download the Free EFT Manual
EFT Universe offers a free “mini-manual” that you can download. This will give you a great introduction to the technique and how to use it. Click here to download.
Free Online EFT Course
EFT Universe offers an online seminar. Click here to learn more.
“Try it on Everything!”
EFT Founder, Gary Craig